Thursday, September 22, 2011

My People

I've been working on some family history and have been thoroughly enjoying going through, and scanning, old family pictures. I am a very visual person, so these have been extra insightful for me. I decided to share a few of my favorites here.

On the left is my Great, Great, Great Grandpa- Francisco Sanchez. This picture is from a bar they ran in San Juan Bautista, California and also includes some uncles. I think Francisco (sans the killer mustache) has passed some looks down to my dad and brother. But you don't really want to mess with this bunch, do you?

My great grandpa Axel is the baby in this family shot from Oland, Sweden in 1903. He immigrated in about 1920 with his dad, Jonas Petersson "Bla" ("blue"-a nickname from his time in the navy).




This is William Eddy Harris and his wife Katherine, with family, including my Great, Great Grandmother, Katherine (the younger daughter). She was the first in the family to be born in the United States after they immigrated from Cornwall, England.


And this is my Great Grandpa Joe (decendent of Fransisco above) and Great Grandma Violet (decendent of Katherine above). This is the woman that our Anna Violet is named after. I love this shot. She has so many different looks in all the pictures I have of her, I like getting glimpses of her personality.




I feel like I am getting to know these people after hearing just names all my life. I finally have an anchor to tie all their wonderful stories to. I love pictures.


2 comments:

Christina said...

How fun! I love how scary and tough some of your ancestors look! Great 'staches. And hooray for Sweden! "bla" (or "blÄ") is a great nickname (did they pronounce it like "blah" once in America or was it pronounced "blow-ah" like the Swedish pronunciation?).

Pictures bring the past to life--there's nothing like it. I'm jealous you have so many great pictures of your family!

Susan said...

My grandma wrote that you say it like"blo" so I'm guessing he kept that true Swedish. He did change his last name to Johnson when he arrived though.