Sunday, July 15, 2012

Washington DC

Richard and I, and just Richard and I, had the opportunity to spend a week together in Washington DC.  That's right-no kids!  The kids got to spend the week between both sets of Grandparents (to whom we are so grateful!) and apparently had an absolutely wonderful time!  Which is good because we have never left them longer than one night before! But I loved being able to spend time with Richard.  


The first night we got there, we headed out to walk around the mall a little and see everything lit up at night.  It was beautiful.  We also got a surprise as Marine 1 came flying in right over the top of us!  So cool!  Then it left, and circled back to land at the White House about 3 more times!  I guess they were training a new pilot, the president wasn't really arriving, but we loved it!


We visited the house where Richard stayed when he was a senate page.  Lot's of memories here!  During our tour of the Capitol he happily pointed out all sorts of places where he used to work and hang out.  Such a cool experience!


We did the walk around the tidal basin to visit all the monuments, which was definately cool.  After sitting around in bed being sick for months, it was a huge challenge for me to do so much walking, but Richard let me take lots of breaks and I was able to do everything that I really wanted to (though I was very sore each night). 


FDR's monument is one of my favorites, I love all the waterfalls and the layout, and especially all the trees and shade as you walk along the basin. Beautiful.  We went back to this area at night and enjoyed seeing everything lit up-we even got to have some fireflies for company!




The WWII memorial made me think of Grandpa John
And Richard was thinking of Grandpa Jaussi. Between both families we have had people who have served in all the wars.  We are so grateful for them. 

Someday, Richard would like to stay at the Blair House-the second home of the Presidents :)


Thanks to our Representative, Jason Chaffetz, we had the amazing opportunity to get a tour of the capital dome.  It was one of my favorite things we did there.  We climbed up these tiny winding flights of stairs between the inner and outer walls of the dome. 


The first viewing level gave us this view of all the little tourist groups far below.  Seeing all the artwork, etc from this angle was really cool too, there was so much more detail and it is all so big! 


But we weren't done yet, we were heading up there!  Up to where that railing is right below the painting!


There we are!  The painting at the top of the dome is so cool, I like how they meshed the founding fathers with Greek Mythology.  It was amazing to be able to see it from here!  And I am not afraid of heights, but I could not look down over the edge more than once!  Holy cow we were high up!  And seemingly perched out right in the middle with everything sloping away from us!  


And a couple more flights of stairs and we stepped outside at the top of the dome!  Talk about some incredible views of DC!  Amazing!


See up there, underneath the statue?  That's where we were!


That night we got to go to the DC temple and do a session together.  The temple is so beautiful and I'm glad we got the opportunity!


We headed out to the Dulles Airport to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum annex-it was incredibly huge and awesome!  Airplanes from every era were hanging and sitting everywhere!  They had some incredible things, including this Space Shuttle.  The regular museum was a little boring after this place :)   I've never seen so many men with giddy smiles on their faces.


They had all sorts of simulators and Richard got the chance to land the space shuttle!


Mount Vernon was worth the drive and really well set up for visitors, even on such a hot, hot day!


And here I am at the National Cathedral!  Thinking of you Meservy Family and our Tea in the Tower!


We even spent an hour paddling around the basin and enjoying the beautiful view and great company :)


 All in all it was a wonderful trip, and hopefully you enjoyed these few out of the 500+ pics we took!  Such an amazing trip.  Thanks Richard!  I love you!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Wow, what an awesome trip! And NO KIDS!! Even more awesome to get needed couple time! Thanks for sharing the pics--especially the dome ones!