Friday, November 11, 2011

Joseph P Sanchez

Here are some pictures of my Great Grandpa Joseph Sanchez who served in WWI.









I also have a letter from him where he briefly describes his service saying, "On October 6th 1917 I left home for Camp Lewis, Wash. A month later a call came from Camp Mills NY for medical first aid and Engineers. So I signed up and landed in France Dec 12, 1917. Was discharged on Saint Patricks Day Mar 17, 1919."

In a newspaper biography of him it describes his service saying, "War drums were rumbling at the time and he tried to enlist in the Ambulance Corps, but was rejected because he was too thin. Within months, however, he was drafted into the regular Army and sent to Camp Lewis, Wash. to train. In two months, with scan training, he was sent "over there" with the New York National Guard regimaent, spending 14 months as a nurse in a trench hospital."




I am grateful for all those who have served our country.



Happy Veterans Day!

No comments: