On Monday I was cutting out some fabric with my rotary cutter, like I have done hundreds of times, and I sliced the end right off my finger. AAAHHH! I ran upstairs and washed it, staring in disbelief at the chunk still attached to the rotary blade (I decided not to share a picture of that) and tried to wrap my copiously bleeding finger up before the girls wondered where I was. It wasn't bad enough to rush to the er. No nail or bone, nothing to sew. Just yuck. Ouch. Stupid. How could I be so clumsy?
Little did I know it would bleed for hours and hurt so badly that it would almost make me helpless. A little finger. Silly. I've been through childbirth twice. I've had a kidney stone. I know what pain is. But this little injury was crazy. While trying to clean the gauze out of it this morning, I got nauseus, cold chills, and literally almost passed out from the pain. I've never even been close to that before. Something about the nerve endings made my body react without my having any ability to control it. I went to see the doctor. He didn't laugh at me luckily, even though all I had to show was a little finger. It is clean and numb and I am doing good now.
Little did I know how my well my awesome family would respond, even though it was a stupid little injury- and offer help, even if it didn't seem I should need it. I got friendship, meals, babysitters, advice, prayer, love,and people who dropped everything to come over when I pathically asked for help-and all I could show as a cause was a little bandaid. They have no idea how much it meant. I am so, so grateful.
It is amazing how many trials we go through in life; how much we are able to push through, and the surprising things that can knock us for a loop. Did I mention how how silly this seems? How humiliated and humble I am from it? Life is funny. Life is good. I am so blessed.
3 comments:
Oh that sounds awful! I know, you'd almost rather have a broken leg or something to show for what you're going through, but the body can react very weirdly at times, and that's not a silly matter at all. I hope you feel better soon!
I hope it is feeling better today... Who knew a little finger could cause so much TROUBLE? :o)
Hope to see you soon!
Oh no! I'm sorry that happened. I hope it heals fast.
Post a Comment